Friday, February 19, 2010

Tin Foil Assignment

I had a very different experience working with tin foil than the other students in the class. Due to my absence because of my (amazing) visit to the Winter Olympics, I was unable to collaborate with other students in the class. Consequently, I worked on the assignment on my own, and it is still a work in progress. There are a lot of things I find compelling about tin foil as a material: its lustrousness, its fragility, its malleability, its surprising strength. I chose to explore all of these properties in the project I am working on, in which I am wrapping thin strips of tinfoil around each other to create a large cylindrical/conical shape. The result, I hope, will display the tinfoil's malleability and lustrousness (the edge of the tinfoil as it is wrapped around itself bends in different directions, creating a multi-faceted surface that reflects light in an interesting manner), as well as its fragility and strength (the thin, delicate-looking edge of the tinfoil will be exploited to create a thick three-dimensional structure that should be able to withstand an unexpected amount of pressure), very well.

On a related note, I was able to see the other students' pieces in class on Wednesday and was incredibly impressed at the diverse ways in which my peers handled the tinfoil in order to produce beautiful works of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.